Monday 4 April 2011

Hell?

Day Seventeen: Pastel/Abstract

A friend of mine asked for something on the theme of 'monster'; I decided to divide it into two pieces and this is the first. This is the more fantastical interpretation of the word monster as I have depicted the Nine Circles of Hell - a subject which I have always found oddly facisnating though not being religious myself. The other type of monster, I considered, will be a more real interpretation of the word - awful people etc. But you'll have to wait for that.

I have included my original design so you can see which circle is which.

The Nine Circles of Hell





2 comments:

  1. But you seem so non-insane in person... I am so impressed by the rate at which you can produce these amazing things. Are the three skulls Brutus, Cassius and Judas?

    (heh, the Captcha thing is "mante")

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem non-insane? I must hide it better than i thought!

    Yea, the idea behind the skulls was both to represent the three mouths of the devil as well as the three people eternally eaten by him; it's so pleasing when one does research and someone notices! Although having said that many of the other circles were very loosely based on anything 'Dante' if at all - I just went a little crazy - it was fun :)

    ReplyDelete