Friday 1 June 2012

Acceptance - A Question.

On reviewing my completion of my Art course, I've felt confused as to the reception of my work.
On the one hand I received praise for my exhibition, from both friends and the general public - yet I feel somewhat panned by the professional artists. I have no bones with anyones opinions - I'll make that clear - but it has made me consider the importance of acceptance. Should we worry about the endorsement of our contemporaries if what we're doing brings enjoyment to the intended audience?

Ignoring ones contemporaries is: A - lonelier and B - riskier. While it can fuel uniqueness and purity of vision (remember the saying: a horse designed by committee would be a camel?), it can lead to producing indulgent and 'rudderless' work. Take Vincent Van Gogh, only sold one painting in his lifetime. Think how awful it would have been if he'd have given in to the trend and cast the sunflowers aside. And yet, there is always the fear of becoming the other - an American sitcom writer*. Churning out the same generic material thinking that you're writing Seinfeld when you're actually writing the 23rd season of Will and Grace. But the ratings are too good for you to realise its bile.

The crux of the negativity seemed to come from a feeling that I didn't make it abundantly clear to the viewer exactly what I wanted them to think. Interestingly, something along these lines came up in a Coen Brothers related discussion I had recently. I am the sort of person that likes to find meaning in things - in this case, the use of circles and a hat in The Hudsucker Proxy and Miller's Crossing, respectively. My friend, who has seen more Coen Brothers than I, has come to the conclusion that the Coen Brothers include apparently loaded symbols that aren't actually loaded at all. They mean nothing. But then I suppose that means everything. These signs that lead to nowhere could be their reflection of their belief in the unpredictability of the universe. Things happen because of random chain of events. A man keeps dropping his hat in Miller's Crossing. Is a a symbolic representation of his true self being temporarily exposed, or is it because his hat doesn't have a handy bit of elastic on it? Who knows. But more importantly: who cares?

Does what the artist intended the viewer to think mean anything, so long as their work provokes them to think something? To the Coen brothers, the circles in The Hudsucker Proxy could have had the most in-depth, symbolic subtext imaginable; or they could have meant nothing. Does either intention malign the, possibly contrary, meaning I took from them - I would say, no.

I have had the belief for some time that what I think about something is secondary to the fact that it made me think. I believe this is why I was not so desperate to funnel viewers into one outcome of experience. I even included a feedback board as part of the exhibition because I felt strongly that what a viewer thinks of something is as important as the thing itself. Will this make my work weak and transient: maybe, but not definitely. I think perhaps my real intention was to make people think and find their own meaning. It's not an original intention. Its a dangerously broad intention. But perhaps its a more exciting one than knowing the outcome of people seeing your work before you've even started.

I'm not sure what I think. What do you think?

*The 'American-ness' is referring to the sitcom. I have nothing against American writers.

2 comments:

  1. Personally, when I'm viewing art, watching a film or whatever, I don't especially care what the artist intended me to think or feel and, therefore, wouldn't spend much time debating about why a man kept dropping his hat. It might occur to me that his hat-dropping could be a metaphor for something, but would I google it to find out if I was right? See how many other nuances I picked up on? Give myself marks out of 10? Personally, no.

    It's not because I too don't like to find meanings in things, it's because I don't mind if I miss them. Ultimately, I think a viewer will see and feel what strikes chords with them alone, while possibly remaining oblivious to things that others find meaningful. That's what I love about art. There's no right or wrong way to create it OR to interpret it, and it speaks to people in endlessly different ways. Because of this, it shouldn't matter if the artist finds acceptance or not. After all, who are they creating art for? Hopefully, themselves. And why do we view it? Again, for ourselves.

    It's a little selfish roundabout somehow ends up rewarding everyone. Except the people who give it points out of 10, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your response Khamsin!

    I agree, if the artist is making artwork for themselves then peer acceptance shouldn't be an issue. We should always strive to be the best that we can be but I don't think that should mean pleasing everyone. The only trouble is, within education this premise falls flat; as everything hangs on peer acceptance. Without the acceptance of our teachers we 'fail'. I don't really think this system can be remedied but it seems a shame for education to continually be producing people desperate to please. It has certainly affected me and I'm sure a great many others.

    ReplyDelete