Tuesday 5 June 2012

Double Indemnity: Cinemas and Film Noir

My Cinema Experience 

So, a few weeks ago I was excited to learn that the Abbeygate Picturehouse in Bury has a film noir season going. As I had only realised this the morning of the showing I called to make sure there would be tickets. I thought there surely would be but I was not expecting to be told not one ticket had sold. Considering how many people were at a screening of Terminator Salvation I was unfortunate enough to attend, also in Bury,  I was somewhat saddened for the Picturehouse and for great films.

I arrive at the ticket desk and was astounded by what else was on offer: selections of beer, cider, soft drinks, sweets, popcorn, ice cream and cake (yes, CAKE) that made me want to apologies for selling out to Cineworld so often. I moseyed on in to the screening - me and the four other people that showed - with a huge bag of popcorn and a Leffe to sit on one of the chairs, but then I realised they also had sofas so I sprawled on one of those instead.


I can't speak for any of the other Picturehouse theatres but all in all I was not only impressed, but disappointed so few people are utilising it - including myself! All I can say is that - before you rush to Cineworld for the latest thing, maybe have a look at whats on at an Arts/Picturehouse cinema near you. You'll probably find the film is better and that nine times out of ten you'll be surrounded by film lovers who won't talk or answer their phone - hurray. 

My only criticism is that on the way out, my fellow film watchers were talking about how Barbara Stanwyck's fringe didn't look too good. My fringe looks a bit like hers. Unimpressed.



Double Indemnity

For starters, I totally confused myself for the first half an hour of the film by having mixed up the meaning of double jeopardy and double indemnity. Double jeopardy is where you cannot try someone again for a murder they've been convicted of. This is not what this film is about; Stella wins the dopey points for that one.

Double indemnity, on the other hand, is where the benificiary of a life insurance policy gets paid double if the policy holder dies in an accident. Fred McMurray plays Walter, a single insurance salesman with all the confidence and wise cracks you could wish for. Barbara Stanwyck is similarly silver tongued as the femme fatale, Phyllis - a young nurse who married the widower of one of her patients and is now restless. Given that, I'm sure you can all work out the basic premise of the plot. The two leads are solid throughout and have wonderful exchanges of dialogue that, as an actor, would strike fear into me for its improbability - but they make it seem totally normal. I now intend to work the line 'do I laugh now, or wait 'til it gets funny?' into my normal life; that and 'I wonder if you wonder.' Brilliant.

What caught me by surprise were the supporting actors. Edward Robinson as Keyes, Walter's crotchety but secretly kind hearted boss, absolutely steals the show for me; so funny and great pace. His match lighting method genuinely inspired me to find out if I could buy some non-saftey matches when I don't even smoke. Also, an endearing performance from Jean Heather as Lola, Phyllis' step-daughter. This could have easily been, I think, a somewhat throwaway character be she makes it charming and memorable. 

SPOILERS!!!

As for the plot, if you haven't worked out by now - Phyllis and Walter plan to get an insurance policy taken out on her husband with her as the beneficiary. Walter resists until he realises how lucrative the plan could be if they can stage a perfect accident resulting in the double indemnity payout. However, they are in jeopardy (not double jeopardy mind!) because even if they do attempt the plot, Keyes is such a brilliant investigator and friend of Walter's they may not be able to get around him (Keyes - he unlocks things, geddit??). 

END OF SPOILERS!!!

What happens??? I'm not going to tell you!! Why: because its was really fantastic I want you all to see it and revel in the tension and the wise cracks. Really understated tension too, lets the audience do the work. Similar to Notorious in that way; the director trusts that he has furnished the audience with all the necessary information for them to grasp the significance of relatively small occurences. My favourite in Notorious being when a man goes to hold the leading lady's hand and she manages to evade it. Sounds like nothing but if you know what's behind it; I nearly leapt at the screen in panic.

Lastly, ironically, its got a cracking opening titles. Ominous music with equally ominous shadows - puts you into the mood of the piece in a heart beat, or at least it did on the big screen; give it two heart beats on the small screen. 

All in all I'm going to be uncharacteristically enthusiastic and say 9/10. It just made it to a nine because of all the lines I want to quote and Edward Robinson.


What does everyone else think about cinemas and film noir?


No comments:

Post a Comment