Monday 4 June 2012

Films - A New Strand

'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.'
- Beckett

Having some time to myself has led me to review my blog.

I read the first post.

I wanted to set myself a challenge. Something that would stretch me and broaden my mind and understanding, and I think I've done that. Not only do I want to continue my original challenge but I'd like to start a new one -

Films for 2012

Premise: This year, I will watch as many of the films I've been meaning to see for years and post my responses to them. These responses may take the form of reviews, debates or art - who knows. I hope this project will force me to watch outside my ordinary taste margins and hopefully inspire some debate. And, if you're really pro-active you can watch the films I'm watching too!

Here's the list so far -

Rosencratnz and Guilderstern are Dead
Tootsie
Zelig
Duck Soup
The Fly (Cronenberg)
Taxi Driver
12 Angry Men
Raging Bull
A Face in the Crowd
Hausu
Throne of Blood
The Godfather 2


And the ones I've already ticked off the list and will be posting about are -

The Third Man
Double Indemnity
Miller's Crossing
Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (1956)

I was inspired to do this after watching an ongoing web series in which someone watches the films they always meant to, and discusses them with a friend (the two people happen to be improv comedians so the whole experience is pretty fun, link!). They reminded me that films shouldn't just be watched and then forgotten; they should be enjoyed with people and talked about.

So, that's what I've been doing and will be doing for the rest of this year - alongside periodical art instalments. 

Have any films you think should be on my list? Let me know.
Make your own list and tell me about it. 

Films! 

Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment